By Emma Dodd
A caravan park in Wales has been forced to ask visitors to leave and close its doors due to a new coronavirus local lockdown being put in place.
People staying at Trecco Bay Caravan Park in Porthcawl were told their holidays were being cut short and that they would need to pack up and go home with around four hours notice, reports WalesOnline.
The park closed at 6pm on Tuesday and went into hibernation after new rules were introduced to parts of south Wales.
Parkdean Resorts, which runs the site, is offering full refunds to all guests, a credit note to the value of 120 per cent of their stay or the opportunity to rebook at a different location.
Anyone due to stay at the park within the next two weeks has also been notified and offered a refund.
Sean Gattrell from Newport and his family are among those affected by the closure. He said: “They just basically said with the restrictions coming in they had to close – the whole park had to close.”
Trecco Bay is the largest caravan park in Europe and has welcomed more than 50,000 holidaymakers since it reopened on July 13th.
It is located in Bridgend, which along with Merthyr, Newport and Blaenau Gwent went into local lockdown on Tuesday evening.
The region joined Caerphilly and Rhondda Cynon Taf, which had already seen new measures put into place to curb the spread of coronavirus.
Steve Richards, CEO of Parkdean Resorts, said: “This closure will affect many businesses and jobs in Porthcawl who rely on the regular influx of tourists to the area and, of course it will mean many hard working Welsh people who account for over 90 per cent of our guests, will now not be able to enjoy a well-earned break.”