by Tom Walsh
Motorhome owners are being warned about the pitfalls of amateur electrical work on their vehicle.
John Sickels, Electrical Workers Registration Board registrar of electrical licensing, explained that owners should make sure that any work is carried out by a trained professional.
He added that if a person is unable to furnish a license then there is a good chance that they are not authorised to carry out the work in the first place.
“Provided things are operating, you probably thinking it’s safe but a lot of the time it may not be safe and that’s where the problems come in. That’s the danger of it,” Mr Sickels told Taranaki Daily News Online.
Faulty wiring has the potential to cost a motorhome owner hundreds of pounds to fix and will put a significant dampener on a holiday if that work has to be carried while people are out and about on the road.
Motorhome owners should take the right steps and seek out a professional to carry out the work.