Soggy summers making caravanners risk their lives

British weather
British weather

Thursday, 22, Sep 2016 11:00

by Ed Davies

Two in five caravanners and campers have admitted taking enormous risks with their lives by bringing outdoor gas appliances inside as a result of the unpredictable British weather

Millions are ignoring basic gas safety laws by bringing lit barbecues inside caravans, porches and awnings because of the rain and in order to stay warm.

A survey of 1,000 holidaymakers by CORGI HomePlan revealed a shocking lack of understanding of the risks involved when using gas cookers, barbecues and heaters - that can all emit deadly carbon monoxide, even when flames are extinguished.

In June last year a couple holidaying in Somerset narrowly escaped death by carbon monoxide poisoning and there have been several attempts by authorities to boost people's awareness of the issue.

More than one in five of those surveyed (22 per cent) said that when it rains, they will bring a barbecue into their caravan or awning.

Mark Leslie, CEO of CORGI HomePlan, said: "People leave their worries at home when they go on holiday and are not applying the same safety rules as they would in everyday life.

"However, fewer than one in four people are having their camping or caravanning gas appliances serviced regularly, according to our research.

"This compares to the 43 per cent who have domestic appliances such as boilers and gas fires serviced annually.

"Every gas appliance needs regular servicing by a registered engineer to ensure it operates safely.

"By packing a simple CO detector in your luggage and setting it up in your caravan, it leaves you free to enjoy a worry-free break."

Worryingly, nearly two thirds of people (63 per cent) did not know that CO continues to be produced after a flame has been extinguished. Caravanners were also confused as to what 'well ventilated' is.

Just over a third (38 per cent) thought a caravan with an open door was enough.

The reality is fumes can blow from lit and extinguished appliances into - rather than out of - confined spaces, allowing carbon monoxide to accumulate to toxic levels.

An overwhelming three-quarters of caravanners admitted they have not had their caravan's gas appliances check in the last year.

A shocking 18 per cent of caravan owners have never had their vehicle's boiler serviced in the past five years.

Of the 1,000 people surveyed today, one in 10 have first hand experience of carbon monoxide poisoning, admitting they personally know someone who has, or suspects they have, been poisoned.

Comments - What do you think?
Related stories

Essex caravan park plans vetoed again

Possible site location at Port Flair

Plans for a 70 pitch caravan park in Essex has been rejected by the local council for a second time

Lily Allen in trouble after `racist` traveller joke

Lily Allen

Lily Allen has been filmed making a joke about the travelling community, which has been dubbed racist and offensive

Video background music over the spoken word???

Why is this necessary? I hope my view is shared by others, but why do we have to have inane background music when...

Change to motorhome

Hello everyone,  We have been caravanning since 1980 and loved every minute of it.  This year we were looking forw...

2016 Vango Kalari known fault

Hi all  My friend i go caravaning with all the time brought a brand new Vango Kalari 420 last year - true to form...

manual

search for a user guide for Compass echo 340/2 1995 ...

New Van Ordered

Been caravaning for 4 years now,bought a 16 yr old Swift Classic Duette just to see if we liked the caravan holida...

2006 Bailey Ranger 550/6 Six Berth Caravan with Awning and all the extras

We are selling our 2006 Bailey Ranger 550/6 with a full size proper awning and we are including a pile of extras s...

Caravan Hire

Hi many people are looking for private caravans for hire this is why I created UK Caravan Rental, we will advertis...

Not Sure Which One

Hi we have sold our bessacarr and now we don't know which caravan to get  I quit like the bailey senator Indiana,t...

Suspension Coil Spring Assistors

Hi That's the vw golf requiring new rear shock absorbers its 13yr's old and has 130k miles on the clock.  Has anyo...

Unicorn Saville FUSES

Hello to you all. Both brake Lights on our Saville have stopped working. Car lights are OK. Checked the wires in t...

For Sale

Burstner Nexxo t720 - 2012 - £44995

Burnster Nexxo t720

Low Low profile chasis motorhome

Rapido A-Class 999M - 2009 - £54995

Rapido A class 999M

This flagship Rapido model is based on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis (very rare) with the fantastic Mercedes 3.

Monaco Knight 38 PDQ - 2006 - £79995

x

THE most practical RV layout ever on the market with four slide out rooms, full cream leather interior and light oak cabinetry creates even greater feeling of space.

Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69 PL (auto) - 2011 - £61995

Niesmann + Bischoff Arto 69 PL

One of the best build qualities in the industry including aluminium sandwich construction, deep double floor and front electric thermo windscreen blind make this motorhome fully winterised.

In pictures: testing the new Auto-Trail V-Line Sport 635 to the extreme

Caravan Times' Favourite Adventure Couple, Simon & Faye, CHeck out the new Autotrail V-line

This weekend however, we decided to test out how sporty the Auto-Trail V-Line Sport 635 really is.

PLANS VETOED: Essex caravan park plans vetoed again

Possible site location at Port Flair

Plans for a 70 pitch caravan park in Essex have been rejected by the local council for a second time.

Caravan site gutted in huge fire causing £1m in damage

Burnt out caravans at the site. Pics from Devon & Somerset Fire Service

An enormous fire has ripped through 160 caravans causing £1 million in damage at a site in Somerset

Caravan dealership launches new online store

Managing director Chris Talbot

Cheshire's largest caravan dealership, Leisure Sales, has unveiled its brand new online accessory store