The National Motorhome and Caravan Show 2020 is cancelled
The National Motorhome and Caravan Show
Tuesday, 07, Jul 2020 09:25
By Emma Dodd
Organisers of the National Motorhome and Caravan Show have decided to shelve the event for 2020, hoping to return in 2021.
Usually held in October at the NEC in Birmingham, the highlight of the British caravanning year has been cancelled due to uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.
It is not yet known when the ban on mass gatherings could be lifted and as the show attracts in the region of 100,000 people, it would be difficult to practice social distancing.
NCC Events, which runs the event, has said it made the decision to cancel the show after extensive consultation.
Among the information it took into consideration was a visitor survey that suggested members of the caravanning community would stay away.
John Lally, chief executive officer of NCC Events, said: "NCC Events faced a very difficult decision. The postponement at this stage maximises the chances to both protect the health and wellbeing of attendees (exhibitor staff and visitors) and also the financial viability of our exhibitors and the show itself."
He reassured visitors and exhibitors that full refunds for tickets and stand costs would be issued to all those who had already paid for their involvement in the show.
Among the attractions caravan fans can usually look forward to at the show are live product launches, caravan test drives and special guests.
Mr Lally added: "We know the Motorhome & Caravan show plays a critically important role in the achievement of retail sales each season. To this end we are working on initiatives to help and support the showcasing of the 2021 new-season products."
It is hoped that the team will be able to go ahead with the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show, which is due to take place from February 23rd to 28th next year.
Then, the autumn event would be reinstated between October 12th and 17th 2021.